Thursday, September 17, 2009

Some words to remember, some notes on K and constable

".. All the accumulated scientific knowledge that humanity possesses is verifiable knowledge, and my proud heritage. And yet I have no sense of attachment to it. If tomorrow new evidence is found, which demands a change in the way I look at Nature, I shall have no trouble abandoning even my pet theories. This is intellectual humility, and in sharp contrast to what happens in theology. You are not permitted to question certain statements there. How stultifying that must be for the intellect. Such an approach can kill the spirit of free enquiry, and deny the pleasure of discovery. I am glad that I do not suffer from that terrible handicap..."
- from here

I am reminded of K, whom I admit made me feel insecure about religion. I was 24, out of university, without a job and not really secure with my views of religion. She was my age, brilliant at chemistry, a PhD offer from UMich., but instead chose to head out to Africa in the name of religious charity. Our discussions left me flustered and confused. Later on, when I started forming views, I would imagine strong comebacks by me. It took a long time before I could get her voice out of my head.

The other person incidentally, who made me insecure (and still does here and there) is constable. The topic here though is, funnily, science! Constable's got this habit of getting under the skin. Here's how it works - take a theory, any theory. He asks a few questions. He relates it to something he knows. Then, he either forms an opinion about it or makes an assumption about it, just like that, based on that limited knowledge. Then the next fifty questions arise from that mindset, they are aimed in such a way to give you full freedom to change that mindset. But..you have to see what the mindset is though. If not, you are screwed. His capacity for logic far outweighs yours so he's several steps ahead of you. In time you become really defensive, cause a) you fear you're missing something or b) you fear you don't know enough. It's easy sometimes, you just have to show him the way you think and he'll follow you easily. But here and there, a few dinners and beers have been ruined cause of this. I remember one biology discussion which still echoes with me, that I had to accede defeat, and worse yet, even side with him, all in pretend. And I've been wishing it comes back cause I've been adding to my repertoire. And then I realise how silly this all is.

No comments:

Post a Comment