I was watching a technician setting up a huge ass mass spec instrument for our group. Now, among other things, the instrument has a long vacuum chamber operated at 6500 V where ions happily travel from one end to the other and back. The particular chamber is lined with fans for cooling called Medusa fans.
Excuse me, I asked the guy while he was looking for the container for these, why are they called Medusa fans?
Well, ever imagine what form that much electricity takes in a vacuum chamber? The bolts look like the hair of Medusa.
Huh.
Some engineers know their Greek.
Excuse me, I asked the guy while he was looking for the container for these, why are they called Medusa fans?
Well, ever imagine what form that much electricity takes in a vacuum chamber? The bolts look like the hair of Medusa.
Huh.
Some engineers know their Greek.
No comments:
Post a Comment