Saturday, May 29, 2010

The bum area

SLC had its share of bums, as any city does. And since the conference was bang in the middle of downtown, we ran into a few. What was different though was that the usual homeless rules didn't apply. Bums are supposed to be territorial. But here, we found four different guys with placards on one corner on any given day.

I was standing outside the convention center waiting for an old classmate to show up, when this guy walks to me and says - Sir, would you let a man clean the windows of your car? I said - umm, sorry I dont have a car. I didn't quite catch what he said next but he repeated it on his own in a shaking-his-head kinda way so I heard it clearly. And it surprised me. 'It ain't about the car, mister....it ain't about the car'. Great. The dude wanted money but was too proud or something so he made a theme and me the dumb idiot just didn't see the theme, the grander picture blah blah.....Eesh the philosophy!

Another bum somehow slipped inside the building into the poster hall. My friend, FijiMan looked up and was astonished to find this bum staring intently at his poster taking in the print, figures, plots and all.

Hey man, what are you doing here?
Sir? You got some chaaaange?
Er.. no.

The guy proceeded to collect all the empty soda cans from the recycle bin, and stuffed them into his bag.

They must have found him. The security on the last couple of days was pretty high.

No comments:

Post a Comment