It's been an off week, but the one thing that happened was Logicomix!
ha!
This was an epic read. In some ways, I should thank the fat bastard for forcing me to read Logic much beyond the cursory knowledge. Anyway, Logicomix is on its surface a history of logic told from a biography of Bertand Russell's life, narrated by Russell himself in a speech. I say 'biography' since even though Russell made it part of the speech, the speech itself is modified by the authors of this book. Also, the authors themselves are characters in the book! Throughout the book, the authors talk amongst themselves about the theme of the book. They tweak Russell's speech and as a consequence, his life and as a consequence, the history of logic, to fit their theme.
See how complicated that just read.
There's no way written text would capture all of these..layers. But graphic novels - ah - these offer so much more freedom!
And this was my first graphic novel. Watchmen is next on my list. I do need more recommendations, though.

No comments:
Post a Comment