Tuesday, October 19, 2010

October

"O hushed October morning mild, 
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
To-morrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all."
- Robert Frost

You might think life has become mundane, but it's not that bad.  It has become very technical, though.  Time is now divided between re-writing and re-re -writing a review paper to the likes on particular reviewer and laying down the math for the big thesis. 

The said reviewer was rather unkind, but there is some fault of mine.  I didn't know who the big guns are in the field, and one thing that is important in science is this concept called literature searching, or in simple words - 'make sure you mention the big guns and that you're not treading on anyone's toes'.  I have spent my professional life, albeit small, in research, and it seems to me that very rarely is scientific research about discovering the truth.  It is sometimes a very political game that is merged with business. The business part, I get, the politics maybe not.  But one has to learn the ropes.  

And yes, the big idea is being started upon.  There is equal parts excitement and equal parts nervousness (oh god, please let this work, I cannot afford to start all over again).  And since it's the beginning, it all looks beautiful and well-placed and almost meant to be.  The ugly side has not been shown yet.

Fall is looking very pretty this year.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment